Grow Salvia divinorum Salvia divinorum information Salvia divinorum legal status law Salvia divinorum images gallery Salvia divinorum cultivation growing community Salvia divinorum forum Donate to support Salvia Source
SalviaSource.org Forums - Salvia divinorum cultivation community
April 06, 2012, 12:47:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Your Ad Here

FORUM HOME   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: common mistakes made by new growers  (Read 4046 times)
farmboy
Cultivation Contributor

Expertise 32

« on: June 21, 2010, 09:45:09 pm »

Common mistakes new growers make:

1. UPLOADING TOO MANY PICS.  You are incourged to upload pictures of your plants, or other forms of art. The mistake some people make is that they upload multiple pictures of the same plant too often.  Two or three pictures of your new plant should suffice, and an update every week is  great.  Just dont go completly crazy with  tons of pictures of the SAME plant.

2.LEAVING A NEW CUTTING IN LOW HUMIDITY.  A new cutting with no, or very small roots, will need to be placed in high humidity. This can be achieved by using a plastic bag, a clear 2liter soda bottle with the bottom cut off, or anything you can use to trap moisture. A small enclosure seems to work best. It is important that whatever you use needs to be somewhat air tight to keep the humidity in, and keep your new plant from wilting.If your humidity tent is not somewhat air tight, you may have to mist your plant with a spray bottle more often. This is especially important if you have to be away from your new plant for hours at a time. Any air circulation will cause a decrese in humidity,thus cause your plant to wilt. With that being said, It is also important to take the "tent" off once a day just for a few seconds to let some fresh air in. After a couple of weeks or so, when your plant has a bigger root system, you should be able to slowly  get your plant adjusted to lower humidity.

3. CHOOSING THE RIGHT SOIL. You want a soil that doesn't compact easily. Stay away from clay/sand based potting soils. Perlite helps prevent soil compaction. Chunky soils with pieces of bark are also good at preventing this. Choose a GOOD store bought soil with forest humus and peat moss and amend it with perlite/and or something chunky.
This is what I use and my plants are very happy, and potent. EVERYONE HAS THERE OWN OPINION ABOUT WHAT SOIL IS BEST FOR SALVIA DIVINORUM DEPENDING ON WHAT THE CLIMATE IS LIKE WHERE YOU LIVE. 

3. TOO BIG OF A POT.  A new cutting should be placed in a small pot. EXAMPLE: 3 x3 or 4x4. New cuttings will grow better and faster if  you will let them get rootbound, (or at least somewhat rootbound) in a smaller pot first. After a few weeks in the small pot, you can transplant into just about any size pot you want.  Although, Its a better idea to work your way up to very large pots, rather than transplanting a 4x4 rootbound plant to a 5 galon bucket. This can lead to overwatering. BUT, If you plan on being an outdoor grower, you will want to transplant your plant (while you still can fairly easily) into a very very large pot. Salvia grown outdoors, with the right conditions, will grow very fast, and very tall, making it very hard to transplant  without  breaking stalks.

4. OVERWATERING:  This is the number one reason for houseplant death. Most often we are over affectionate, giving them too much of what they need. Dont give your plant the same ammount of water on the same schedule every time. You may want to water heavy about every third watering. When you water lightly, keep the water concentrated around the base of the stem. The best way to efficently keep your plant at its healthiest is to  write down every time you water. Once you see just how many days it took for your plant to get thirsty and wilt a little bit, Its easy to know when to water.  You can also check the moisture level in your pot with a pencil. Stick a pencil in deep and if the end is wet, or has alot of dirt sticking to it, it shouldn't need water yet. You Can also water your plant heavy, lift the pot and see about how much it weighs. Then lift it a few days later, if it feels alot lighter, it might be time to water. Remember, as your plant grows, and the root system gets bigger, you'll notice that you have to water more frequently. Keep an eye on your plants and they will let you know when there thirsty.

5. FREAKIN OUT OVER BROWN LEAVES.  Browning leaf edges can be a sign of many things with different kinds of plants. With salvia divinorum, The brown spots, or brown leaf edges you will most likley see on your plant at some time or another is most likley caused from low humidity. Some people report that chlorinated water may cause browning on leaves as well. Pests can also cause browning and curling. But remember this: Salvia Divinorum grown in lower humidity, will more than likley get some brown tips/edges. It's normal.

6. CHOOSING A PROPER LIGHT.  Salvia Grows best in natural sunlight, but she will grow good for you under artifical light too. For the newbie grower, a CFL (Compact Fluorescent Light) will do just fine.  Plants will grow under any color spectrum CFL, but it seems like salvia likes the 6500k bulbs the best.

Grissom
|if3
Elder Explorer

Expertise 31

Horticultural Terrorist

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 02:11:49 am »

I detest. Post as many pics as you want, just upload them on photobucket or imageshack, tinypic or what ever.

Don't over fertilize your plant, don't even touch fertilizer for a long time. Don't let your plant grow in humidity under 80% unless you've already acclimatized them.

Use what ever soil you want, You'll want to use something light and airy at first, because this will help prevent over watering. I personally prefer OMRI listed soils, but I've used everything from generic junk, scotts premium potting mix, to top grade sunshine soil. Don't bother mixing soil, just buy PREMIUM POTTING SOIL, don't cheap out and use the 2$ bag of manure or by borrowing soil that you found in a pile on the street. Just buy a 6$ bag of soil.

Don't use a huge pot, use something TWO INCHES BIGGER than the pot you're currently using. You can start clones out in small yogurt cups, or pop bottles. Just remember that the containers need sufficient holes for air transfer. Roots breathe oxygen like us Smiley. If you stick your plants in a huge container, you risk over watering them and scrawny growth.

Touching your plant over and over and over and over again just increases the risk of human error. Use a fruit bag from your safeway, put some water in it, wave it around, drain the water, and put your clone in it. Tie it off with a twist-tie or a paperclip/string, and replenish the air once a day.

Water your plants thoroughly when the soil dries out sufficiently. You don't want to wait until the soil is completely dry. This will kill your plant, but if your plants are in high humidity you'll have to water very infrequently. Additional light is necessary unless you have a very bright window, then tack up a piece of translucent material to help deflect some of the light and lessen the intensity. If you have a very dim location, try to add some artificial light from fluorescent lights, You can pick up the small twisty ones (CFLS) for next to nothing, 6$ a bulb, or 10$ a package. Any wattage between 26 and 42 will be more than suffice. Smiley, plants will eventually perk up, it just depends on how much TLC you give them.

.liaverp ot thgir eht ,thgif ot thgir eht;\
,desoporp ton ,eerf eb dluohs modeerf;/
 .desopsid ro desoppo;\
.etah ton ,sdees wos;/
.ehcadaeh citehtnys ,tenalp cinagro;\
.senilediug lacilbib eurt eht era esehT;/
farmboy
Cultivation Contributor

Expertise 32

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 06:33:46 am »

yeah, If you want to watch your plant grow, like a snail crawls, then don't use fert. for a long time. But If you want to have a fast growing plant, and want to have a shit eating grin on your face everytime you look at your plant because its growing like crazy, then   start ferts about 2 weeks after there acclimated. Or 4-5 weeks from cutting. I start mine on 1/2 strength CHEMICAL ferts about 4 weeks after I cut the clones off the host plant. Grin      I like CHEMICAL ferts. I hit my plants with it hard and heavy ond day. Then, about 4 days later, I hit em hard and heavy again. Then you sit back and watch em grow like crazy.  I use regular water for the next month, then I harvest leaves for a couple weeks. And the cycle starts over.    Every once in a while I use clearex. Its a nutrient salt leching solution. It disolves the salts left in your soil by all the heavy fert applications.

my plants speak for thierselves.

Grissom
|if3
Elder Explorer

Expertise 31

Horticultural Terrorist

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 02:32:34 am »

I despise you my friend, you have a great climate to be growing in (at least for most of the season which is longer than 3 months), and b) because you feed your plants toxic fertilizers that contain shit we use to preserve human brain tissue, and things we used to give spies to kill themselves in the midst of capture.

Natural ferts wont make your soil desolate, and you'll definitely see a massive increase in growth vs. the plant that you've been feeding steroids to.
Smiley

.liaverp ot thgir eht ,thgif ot thgir eht;\
,desoporp ton ,eerf eb dluohs modeerf;/
 .desopsid ro desoppo;\
.etah ton ,sdees wos;/
.ehcadaeh citehtnys ,tenalp cinagro;\
.senilediug lacilbib eurt eht era esehT;/
Hero4Evz
Super Gardener

Expertise 127

Global Mod - PM me if you need help with anything!

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 12:11:36 pm »

I agree with the uploading to many pics. We don't need 10 pics of your plants every week all this does is make it take forever for your page of your grow log to load and makes you take forever to look through all of them. Show problems and significant growth that is it. Be aware if you do post to many pictures I will/do avoid those posts because it's a waste of my time. Load as many pics as you want just don't like all 700 to your grow log.

Interested in a trade? Check out my list.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: