Grow Salvia divinorum Salvia divinorum information Salvia divinorum legal status law Salvia divinorum images gallery Salvia divinorum cultivation growing community Salvia divinorum forum Donate to support Salvia Source
SalviaSource.org Forums - Salvia divinorum cultivation community
April 06, 2012, 05:11:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Your Ad Here

FORUM HOME   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How To Make A Cheap, Adequate Humidity/Grow Chamber  (Read 7198 times)
offspringfrk316
Cultivation Contributor

Expertise 6

« on: April 07, 2009, 04:24:34 pm »

How To Make A Cheap, Adequate Humidity/Grow Chamber

Required Materials

Quantity              Item                                                                  Price
     2               66 Qt. Plastic Containers                                       $8.00 each at Target

1              Four Paws Screen Clips 2pk                                     $2.50 at Petland Discounts or any pet store

1              Terrarium Thermometer                                            $4.50 at Petland Discounts or any pet store

1              Terrarium Hygrometer                                              $4.50 at Petland Discounts or any pet store   

1                Aquarium Air Pump                                                 $5.00 to $11.00 at Petland Discounts or any pet store

(Couple feet)  Aquarium Plastic Tubing                                          $2.00 at Petland Discounts or any pet store

1              4 "AA" Battery Holder w/ on/off switch                   $2.00 at Radio Shack   

1              80mm x 80mm Computer fan w/ Bare Leads           $5.00 on Ebay   

1 Bag                        Perlite                                                        $4.00 at Home Depot   

Aluminum Foil
                                Scotch Tape
                          Double Sided Tape
                                 Power Drill

Step 1
Take the 66 Qt. Plastic containers and snap each of the 4 handles off.  They have pegs that slide into holes in the container and are easily removable.

Step 2
Use your drill to make 8 pencil-sized holes towards the top of one of your plastic containers about 5 inches from the top, 2 holes on each side.  This bin will be the bin placed on top of the other one.  The holes will allow for air exchange into the chamber.  Also make a hole on the side of the bottom container towards the bottom to allow for the air pump tubing to be threaded through.

Step 3
Thread the aquarium tubing through the hole and connect it to the aquarium pump.  The air pump will allow for new/fresh air to be pumped into the chamber. Now you don't have to do what I'm about to explain but If you have some extra cash you can do this.  In addition to the air pump, I've connected a Tropic Air Humidifier to it ($20.00 Petland Discounts)  So not only am I pumping new air into the chamber but I'm pumping new, humid air into the chamber Smiley

Step 4
Place the fan on the side of your top plastic container and mount it anywhere you like using screws.  I've actually cut a pair of pieces of wood at an angle and mounted the fan to them so that the fan can be at a downward angle.  It's up to you what to do.  Now drill a small hole by the fan so you can thread the wires to the outside of the box.  The fan will be used to circulate the new air that is being pumped into the chamber from the aquarium air pump.

Step 5
Once it is mounted, drill a one inch hole behind the fan.  Now, take the bare leads of the fan and splice them into the bare leads of the battery holder (Positive wire = Red, Negative wire = Black).  Once you're done, mount the battery holder next to the fan using the double sided tape.  The battery holder has an on/off switch that you can turn on to put new air into the humidity chamber.

Step 6
Now, take the aluminum foil and line the inside sides of the top container, except for the side facing you.  If you wish, you could also line all 4 sides of the bottom container with aluminum foil for added reflection of light.  Use scotch tape to keep it all in place.  Make sure not to cover the holes you originally made, including the fan hole and aquarium hole as well obviously.

Step 7
Take the thermometer and hygrometer and mount them to the inside of the top container using the materials supplied with the packaging.

Step 8
Now, take the perlite and soak it in water, preferably filtered or distilled water (doesn't have to be the whole bag, just enough to line the bottom container with).  Once, the perlite has soaked up the water, line the bottom of the bottom container with the perlite.  This will help add to the overall humidity of the inside of your growing chamber.

Step 9
Place your plants inside the your chamber.

Step 10
Spray the inside of the top container with filtered or distilled water for humidity.

Step 11
Place the top container on top of the other.  Using the Four Paws Screen Clips, clamp the 2 plastic containers together by placing them where the handles use to be.  This will help keep the containers together and will prevent them from falling off of each other.  They are easily removed for when you need to take the top off.

Step 12
Place your lights on top and let them grow Smiley

Now depending on what lights your using.  If you're using tube florescent lights, they can just be lain on top.  I'm using two 100 watt equivalent CFLs but really didn't have a light fixture to put them in.  I have read that they have more light output coming from the side instead of the top so try mounting them on their side.  To do this a made a light fixture out of a wooden box and 2 plastic lamp holder that i screwed into the side.  I bought a ac plug with bare leads and connected the lamp holders in parallel.  And I now have a light box that I place on top of my grow box.

I'm not completely done with it yet so please bare with me
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 07:19:12 pm by offspringfrk316 » Logged
|if3
Elder Explorer

Expertise 31

Horticultural Terrorist

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 11:28:09 pm »

Make sure that the air coming into the chamber is at the bottom on top of the perlite. Elevate the plants too!

Over all very good. I'd suggest moving the fan at an upward angle instead of downward. This would allow for the new air to be pushed around instead of the old air pushed back down to the plants.

(animation)

Just an example. New air is blown on plants, not just recycled oxygen which is almost useless for the plans breathing *except for roots Smiley*

.liaverp ot thgir eht ,thgif ot thgir eht;\
,desoporp ton ,eerf eb dluohs modeerf;/
 .desopsid ro desoppo;\
.etah ton ,sdees wos;/
.ehcadaeh citehtnys ,tenalp cinagro;\
.senilediug lacilbib eurt eht era esehT;/
drift
Tribal Elder

Expertise 82

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 01:26:14 am »

You'd be better off skipping all that entirely and acclimating them to ambient.
|if3
Elder Explorer

Expertise 31

Horticultural Terrorist

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 03:13:45 am »

You'd be better off skipping all that entirely and acclimating them to ambient.

I love the Idea of full control, but I don't want to offend him, but I think it's slight over kill. Not enough air flow.

James

.desopsid ro desoppo;\
.etah ton ,sdees wos;/
offspringfrk316
Cultivation Contributor

Expertise 6

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 09:17:50 am »

Make sure that the air coming into the chamber is at the bottom on top of the perlite. Elevate the plants too!

Over all very good. I'd suggest moving the fan at an upward angle instead of downward. This would allow for the new air to be pushed around instead of the old air pushed back down to the plants.

Just an example. New air is blown on plants, not just recycled oxygen which is almost useless for the plans breathing *except for roots Smiley*

Understandable, but idk im just experimenting and having fun with it.  It's almost like a hobby now and i"m having a lot of fun putting it all together.  And as for my fans I have them mounted at the top corners but i have 1 inch holes drilled behind the fans, therefore sucking new outside air in and blowing it down.  it has the same effect of your picture just blowing it down instead of up.

I'm eventually going to acclimate them.. i think im going to just use the grow chamber for clones until they get healthy and then acclimate them.  Im actually going to to acclimating sally soon and leave the other 3 in the chamber.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 09:36:55 pm by offspringfrk316 » Logged
|if3
Elder Explorer

Expertise 31

Horticultural Terrorist

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 10:07:50 pm »

Haha! I know EXACTLY how you feel. I love it, it's a new hobby, and it's freaking sweet!

Happy Growin',
James

.desopsid ro desoppo;\
.etah ton ,sdees wos;/
offspringfrk316
Cultivation Contributor

Expertise 6

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 10:14:28 pm »

Yea its fun Smiley Never grew any kind of plants before but I think I struck a new interest Tongue
drift
Tribal Elder

Expertise 82

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 06:47:11 pm »

Yea its fun Smiley Never grew any kind of plants before but I think I struck a new interest Tongue

Now you need to start getting some more ethnos. Salvia is just the beginning.
offspringfrk316
Cultivation Contributor

Expertise 6

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 12:00:38 pm »

Haha yea Smiley summers starting so Ill finally have some more time on my hands to take care of them
offspringfrk316
Cultivation Contributor

Expertise 6

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 09:11:03 pm »

Higher humidity.  Preferably above 50% humidity, unless you plan to acclimate it.  Salvia adapts pretty easily
Give me Liberty or...

Expertise 0

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 06:05:12 pm »

So I just bought some plants and I have read that this plant is very adaptable. I live @ 7000 ft. elevation high desert. Will I have to build a humidity chamber?
nitelife
Cultivation Contributor

Expertise 108

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 08:43:01 pm »

You won't have to build a fancy chamber like this one.
A clear 2 liter pop bottle with a few inches cut off of an end so you can mist in it and fit it over your plant to hold humidity would be fine until the plants roots are established and it can be acclimated to room humidity.
eggbatter29
Junior Explorer

Expertise 0

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 02:46:38 pm »

I disagree with this completely unless your plant is in really dying shape.
farmboy
Cultivation Contributor

Expertise 32

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 05:53:37 pm »

I disagree with this completely unless your plant is in really dying shape.

You must live in a very humid area for all your salvia cuttings to thrive without  a humidity dome of somekind.

Grissom
Hero4Evz
Super Gardener

Expertise 127

Global Mod - PM me if you need help with anything!

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 07:42:06 pm »

Humidity tents are sometimes a necessary evil depending on your climate although after becoming established salvia can survive in just about any humidity with proper watering and training.

Interested in a trade? Check out my list.
|if3
Elder Explorer

Expertise 31

Horticultural Terrorist

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 12:05:44 am »

My plants are doing fine, and this room see's highs and lows of humidity, anywhere from 30% and up. My plants are doing fine, very scraggly, but very happy none the less. They're both putting way to much energy into growing upwards, when clearly they can't anymore Tongue. It's a continuous cycle They're self harvesting, and re-grow every year, just like the last.

.desopsid ro desoppo;\
.etah ton ,sdees wos;/
GoCougs

Expertise 0

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 07:40:25 am »

I really like your humidity chamber and I'm thinking about making something like this for my plants. I have a quick question though about your setup.  Is there a way that this chamber could be modified to provide heat to the system for during the winter months? Can this system be heated in a way that wouldn't melt the plastic containers or create a fire hazard?

farmboy
Cultivation Contributor

Expertise 32

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 04:51:04 pm »

I really like your humidity chamber and I'm thinking about making something like this for my plants. I have a quick question though about your setup.  Is there a way that this chamber could be modified to provide heat to the system for during the winter months? Can this system be heated in a way that wouldn't melt the plastic containers or create a fire hazard?

Just one incandescent light bulb will make plenty of heat, while giving light too.

OH AND BY THE WAY, THIS POST HAS BEEN DEAD FOR A YEAR DUDE. WE SHOULD HAVE NEVER EVEN REPLIED IN THE FIRST PLACE.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 06:37:51 pm by farmboy » Logged

Grissom
|if3
Elder Explorer

Expertise 31

Horticultural Terrorist

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 02:11:38 am »

Small forum, meh, I like seeing this thread, it should be stickied.

yes, it certainly can, you can buy heating blankets from stores for about 30$, which is about half-3/4 of your build cost.
You can also build one if you want, Build a box with air holes and suspend a light in the box. Wire up the light socket to a thermostat and program the thermostat to not exceed 30-40*C, this will be a saftey feature that will periodically turn your light on and off. make sure it's a MANUAL thermostat, the new digital ones (like honeywell) are crap, if you do a quick consumerreports search (or ask the guy at the hardware store) im sure s/he'll tell you how crappy the new digital ones are. The manual ones are a fool proof safe guarantee. They're real easy to use too. White to white, black to black, wire it into a plug and you're done. Here's the list of supplies you'll need:

Honeywell MANUAL thermostat 12$

Wire-Plug adapter 6$

Electrical Tape $0.79

Extension chord 10$

Light bulb 2$

Wood scraps? free?

.desopsid ro desoppo;\
.etah ton ,sdees wos;/