Grow Salvia divinorum Salvia divinorum information Salvia divinorum legal status law Salvia divinorum images gallery Salvia divinorum cultivation growing community Salvia divinorum forum Donate to support Salvia Source
SalviaSource.org Forums - Salvia divinorum cultivation community
April 06, 2012, 06:01:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Your Ad Here

FORUM HOME   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: JARG's Soil Mix  (Read 3092 times)
JustAnotherRegularGuy
Cultivation Contributor

Expertise 103

« on: December 15, 2008, 08:37:13 pm »

I get people asking me all the time about what soil mix I use. By using this easy and cheap mix, I have never had a problem. It makes for a very light fluffy soil that drains well and gives the roots an easy time stretching out. It holds enough water that I water my plants about every 10-14 days depending on how dry I want to let the soil get.

It consists of 2 parts. Some people find a 50/50 mix also works well, but I find I like just a little less perlite than 50%. I eyeball the mix every time and I am sure there are some slight fluctuations for each plant's pot, but overall here is what it is:

Mix about 30%-40% Miracle Gro Perlite
Cost $3-$4 at Home Depot
UPC 032247427838

And 60%-70% Jiffy-Mix Professional Seed Starting Soil
Cost $4-$5 at Home Depot
UPC 033349416157

When mixed together dry it should look like this:

And when you have a plant in it just after watering it should look like this:

I hope this answers the questions about what I use and where I get the ingredients. Good luck growing!
JARG
braddubya
Explorer

Expertise 2

Boredom - The fuel for all things fun

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 08:47:29 pm »

Im going to use this fix for my soon to be cuttings! Thanks Jarg

On another similar note:

Just last weekend I was talking to a guy who was selling leaf for $5 a gram  Huh? Shocked about the type of soil needed to grow "good" salvia.  He was certain that if you didnt have (I believe he said) high alkaline soil that the plant would not be potent.  Is there any merit to that jarg or anyone else who is soil wise?

The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think its real because thats how powerful our minds are. Some people have been on the ride for a long time and they begin to question Is this real or is this just a ride?
Jupe
Super Gardener

Expertise 132

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 05:12:06 pm »

all salvia needs is to be generally healthy, and it will grow killer, potent leaves....slightly acid, like what you might find in fern glen or forest floor is perfect.......strong alkaline soils are  dangerous to most plants, 'cept those that have evolved in them...
Paradoxic
The Creator
Cultivator

Expertise 113

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 12:13:18 am »

Nice little addition to the cultivation section. Genius+.

Very simple and straight forward, and proven to work  Cool
retro_killa
Explorer

Expertise 2

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 08:42:25 pm »

very nice & looks to be very helpful soil mix thank you for this posting nice pictures
JustAnotherRegularGuy
Cultivation Contributor

Expertise 103

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 04:58:06 pm »

After using this mix for over a year I have found that the perlite tends to creep upwards over time making the bottom half of the soil get more dense and compact. It works great if you repot to bigger pots every few months, but I had a few mommas for cloning that I left in a 10" pot and eventually the plants died after about a year. The bottom part of the soil had very little perlite left and it didn't drain water properly and became dense. Essentially it caused root rot and made it hard for the roots to grow. I am thinking about adding wood chips and sticks to my new soil mix to help keep the soil fluffy. Those things should have a harder time migrating to the top.

JARG
SalviaDave
Explorer

Expertise 1

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 05:30:00 pm »

After using this mix for over a year I have found that the perlite tends to creep upwards over time making the bottom half of the soil get more dense and compact. It works great if you repot to bigger pots every few months, but I had a few mommas for cloning that I left in a 10" pot and eventually the plants died after about a year. The bottom part of the soil had very little perlite left and it didn't drain water properly and became dense. Essentially it caused root rot and made it hard for the roots to grow. I am thinking about adding wood chips and sticks to my new soil mix to help keep the soil fluffy. Those things should have a harder time migrating to the top.

JARG

what type of wood chips would work? I read that cedar chips contain a toxic resin which is bad for plants, and not only that but adding chips to soil can damage the nitrogen levels. Thanks for the update!
JustAnotherRegularGuy
Cultivation Contributor

Expertise 103

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 06:17:07 pm »

Jupe would be the one to know the "woody bits". He uses something woody for his outdoor plants to great success. I guess I should have done some research before I just went out and bought a big bag of cedar chips. I just put my first plant outside using a soil mix that contains cedar chips. Time will tell if this was a good idea or not. So far in the past couple of days this plant has been doing very well and loving it's new environment. I can see bad things happening to your plant if you use cedar mulch that has been dyed a certain color, but I used regular old plain cedar. Fingers crossed, and so far so good...

(Yes there are drainage holes in the bottom of this 5 gallon bucket)

JARG
Nezahualcoyotl
Tribal Elder

Expertise 79

...Because cultivation is the key to preservation!

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 10:20:46 am »

Looks nice dude! I use tons of perlite too!

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi Proverb
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: