Grow Salvia divinorum Salvia divinorum information Salvia divinorum legal status law Salvia divinorum images gallery Salvia divinorum cultivation growing community Salvia divinorum forum Donate to support Salvia Source
SalviaSource.org Forums - Salvia divinorum cultivation community
April 01, 2012, 02:52:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Your Ad Here Please donate

FORUM HOME   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: North Carolina (NC)  (Read 4891 times)
GenericAesthetic

Expertise 0

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 06:31:52 pm »

Actually I'm not too clear on that either.  Don't depend on what I'm saying or pointing out here.

On the bill page
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/billlookup/billlookup.pl?Session=2009&BillID=S138

It says that it was passed but the most recent stage as of my writing this is:
05/19/2009     House     Ref to the Com on Health, if favorable, Judiciary III, if favorable, Appropriations

So what is the Com on Health and Judiciary III?  What power do they have?  Could this bill still have a chance to be overturned by either one of those entities?  I'm assuming that appropriations would mean that they then have to decide exactly how much to spend on the Salvia control effort.

Also...
At the very bottom of
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2009/Bills/Senate/HTML/S138v2.html

It states:
SECTION 2.  This act becomes effective December 1, 2009, and applies to acts committed on or after that date.

So I'm guessing even once it is checked by the committee on health, Judiciary III, appropriated, and ratified, they'll have to wait until Dec 1.    Right?

In the most recent edition of the bill it isn't making Salvia Schedule 1 is it?  They dropped that?  Because the wiki still says Schedule 1 controlled substance, but the bill just says unlawful.

I'm in the process of writing a letter to my representative as well.  http://www.salviatruth.com has some pretty good information. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 07:11:47 pm by GenericAesthetic » Logged
Nezahualcoyotl
Tribal Elder

Expertise 79

...Because cultivation is the key to preservation!

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 11:24:30 pm »

I'm not sure! It's really freaking confusing! Makes ya wonder if they make it that way on purpose!

Just KEEP WRITING LETTERS! MAKE PHONE CALLS! ANYTHING!!!

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi Proverb
GenericAesthetic

Expertise 0

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 11:11:25 am »

If anyone has any more recent or educated statements to make on the laws it would be appreciated.

What I don't understand is... Which edition of the bill is in effect?  Edition 1 or Edition 2?  It says committee substitute adopted.  Does that mean that Edition 2 completely replaces Edition 1 or does Edition 1 still goes into effect before Edition 2?  If someone could make the call and ask it would be much great.
Nezahualcoyotl
Tribal Elder

Expertise 79

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 11:11:11 am »

http://www.entheogen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24231

Things are happening in N.C.

Write a letter TODAY!

TriastD
Junior Explorer

Expertise 1

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 07:56:20 pm »

I've worked for law firms and always the last revision is what is in effect, but all previous revisions have to be kept on the "books" so to speak for a legal record of what transpired. In this case Edition 2 is what is being voted on. It has been passed by both the Senate and the House and is now up for final review before being signed into law (in this case by the governor probably). Schedule 1 was a way overhanded bill for a drug that has no links to crime and only anecdotal links to a death. I'm glad my representatives are wise enough to have seen that.

Basically the word is (from statements made by some of the representatives) something is going to go on the books to restrict Salvia in NC, but enough justification has been given to permit medical research.  I believe this is in large part due to Dr. Roth's research that has spurred some interest, and NC is not dumb enough to pass up potential tax revenue even if it is in the future and only a potential. I've seen them make some bets before and its taken 10-12 years to pay off, but in the end they do and end up making NC a ton of $$$. NC has to get creative as we are marginally making it as a producer, and the recent economic downturn has hit Raliegh hard especially with the R&D companies in the Raleigh-Durham area.

In fact Medical MJ is on the fast track to being passed:
http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2009&BillID=H1380
and a back up bill for the voters:
http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/billlookup/billlookup.pl?Session=2009&BillID=H1383
NC will be the next Medical MJ state soon. Raleigh is not going to pass up 60+ million in revenue.
California will legalize it before long, as they are having a major budget issue even without the bad economy making things worse. The state workers are eating the government there alive.

As for salvia use in NC, nothing will change the bill from going forward from what it is today. What I would suggest is writting the NC reps to submit a medical salvia act to permit doctors/wholistic/caregivers practioners to give permission "prescription" for the purpose of treating depression or mental health. That's about the only chance of Salvia being "legal" for consumption in NC after December 1st. Even then that's a strech as there will have to be medical proof/reasearch study to back it up.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 08:05:46 pm by FuzzyD » Logged
Yossaria
Action Leader

Expertise 12

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 09:48:20 pm »

Bad news - as of today, SB138 has been ratified and sent to the governor.  Most likely, at this point, it's just a matter of time before it's signed into law and effective December 1, 2009.  Main bill page for North Carolina has been changed to reflect this.
Nezahualcoyotl
Tribal Elder

Expertise 79

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 09:50:57 pm »

We can still grow the plants as ornamentals right?

skagardener
Elder Explorer

Expertise 7

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 11:22:58 am »

AGAIN, I WOULD LET EVERYONE KNOW, IF THERE IS ANYTHING I CAN DO AS A RESIDENT I AM MORE THAN WILLING.

as long as i can grow salvia i am fine, i hardly use. i just enjoy growing plants,a nd salvia is my fav to grow.

BUT i am no fan to oppression, and this bill bars another aspect of my "freedom" to do what i like.

i am full time student, over 20 hours a semester, full time employed, and am always busy,
i do not have time to research and track down people, write letters etc.

but if someone could prepare anything id be glad to represent the document as a resident of north carolina.
whether it be email, a phone call, possibly an in person appearance or a delivered letter.

but i dont have the time to devote a few weeks to the cause, no matter how horrible that sounds (especially since i love salvia, and hate whats going on) i have no choice in the matter.

My mother is disabled and actually undergoing surgery today to remove cancerous organs, along with a school schedule, a job, taking care of her and my little brother (hard because they doesnt live close to me)

someone pm me if they find some info or have a request.
Yossaria
Action Leader

Expertise 12

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2009, 01:19:14 am »

Bad news.

Signed into law on August 28, 2009.
flourishing
Explorer

Expertise 5

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2009, 07:20:20 am »

Section e (2) of the ratified bill is the best news possible in my opinion.  SD is still perfectly legal to grow as an ornamental or for aesthetic purposes, which is what I do anyway.  Great news for those who cultivate and simply love their plants, which I believe should be purpose number one for having it at all.

I suppose it's bad news for those who simply want to smoke an extract, or otherwise use Salvia.

Just a cultivators opinion on the matter.  It would be awful if I couldn't have it in the garden anymore.  There is nothing more beautiful than a 15 foot SD in the NC early morning sunshine, or balmy afternoon.
Nezahualcoyotl
Tribal Elder

Expertise 79

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2009, 10:33:19 am »

I agree flourishing.

Good post.

Yossaria
Action Leader

Expertise 12

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2009, 09:11:08 pm »

Media alert of bill going into effect
Nezahualcoyotl
Tribal Elder

Expertise 79

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2009, 10:43:14 pm »

At midnight tonight Salvia divinorum becomes illegal to ingest in N.C.!

This is terrible!

Thankfully you can still legally grow the plant for ornamental purposes AND the plant can still be researched by legitimate medical professions and scholars.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: