Grow Salvia divinorum Salvia divinorum information Salvia divinorum legal status law Salvia divinorum images gallery Salvia divinorum cultivation growing community Salvia divinorum forum Donate to support Salvia Source
SalviaSource.org Forums - Salvia divinorum cultivation community
April 01, 2012, 03:41:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Your Ad Here

FORUM HOME   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Jersey (NJ)  (Read 3805 times)
Paradoxic
The Creator
Cultivator

Expertise 113

« on: September 03, 2008, 03:55:56 pm »

Current Status: Bill proposed (as of Sept 3, 2008)
Classification: Schedule I
Bill Reference: SB1867
Contact State Representatives:
   - Senate and Assembly
External Links: Wikipedia | Erowid
Action Leader: N/A  (to apply please post a reply to this topic)

Details
On April 6, 2006 Assemblywoman Linda Stender (D) announced that she was proposing legislation to ban Salvia divinorum. On May 15, 2006 Senator Stephen Sweeney (D) proposed Senate Bill 1867 to the State Senate. Assemblywoman Stender introduced an identical bill to the State Assembly on May 22, 2006. It is designated Assembly Bill 3139 and is cosponsored by Assemblyman Jack Conners (D) and Assemblyman Herb Conaway (D). If passed, these bills would classify Salvia divinorum and salvinorin A as Schedule I controlled substances in New Jersey. Neither bill has come up for a vote.

Take Action
Send letters to state representatives

Attend public hearing
This is the most effective way to take action against a ban. If you know about an upcoming date for a hearing please post it and it will be added here. You can search the state web sites to look for public hearing dates.
*Please post any public hearing dates you know of

Suggested key points:
  • Salvia is not a problem: No emergency room admittances, no drug counseling or addiction services admittances, no salvia related crime being reported by LEO, no superintendents speaking out against it. No deaths, and poison control rates it as a very low priority. Salvia has been around for a couple decades, or at least as long as the current meth plague--if salvia was going to be a widespread problem, it would have been by now.
  • Medicinal and/or scientific potential
  • Salvia is NOT a recreational substance and cannot be grouped with LSD, mushrooms, ecstasy, marijuana, etc. (ex: not addictive, short-acting, non-toxic, unappealing/unpleasant as a recreational substance)
  • Religious use. History dating back thousands of years of indigenous use and decades of contemporary spiritual use. Without apparent harm or addictive tendencies.
  • Arguments against rest almost exclusively on hearsay: unsubstantiated internet videos (search on alcohol and compare the number of videos), and the marketing claims of unscrupulous sellers.
  • Suggest age restriction instead of an outright ban (give examples of this being done in Maine and California)
*Please suggest other tips/links

Public hearing tips:
  • Good resource: http://www.ctkidslink.org/action_howtestify.html#anchor368848
  • Do research in your own state. Go the your state DEA or Office of Substance Abuse website and dig around a bit. Find out how much it costs to arrest, prosecute, and jail per person for drugs crimes and include that figure in your arguments against a ban. The ME financial report associated with a ban indicated minimal fiscal impact, but using their own reported figures, it turns out that it costs near $60,000 for each successful drug crime prosecution.
*Please suggest other tips/links

Discourage irresponsible sale
Visit your local smoke shops or send them letters to encourage them not to sell Salvia divinorum to minors and include safety information about using Salvia divinorum. You can print out a User Guide (or part of it) to give to them.

Spread the word: Send this page to a friend

*Please post a reply if you have any additions or updates for this page.
*Please post about any action you are taking in this state.
drift
Tribal Elder

Expertise 82

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 04:35:34 pm »

Hey, Paradoxic.

Sorry to bother you about the legal status, but I'm really interested in helping fight any upcoming laws that would make salvia illegal in Jersey. One thing that confused me though is the wording of "Current Status: Bill proposed (as of Sept 3, 2008)." Does that mean you updated the page as of sept 3, 2008, or is the date of a proposed bill to ban salvia?
JustAnotherRegularGuy
Cultivation Contributor

Expertise 103

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 04:59:05 pm »

For clarification Sep 3rd is the last time the main post was updated, not the date of the proposed bill.

JARG
drift
Tribal Elder

Expertise 82

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 11:35:27 pm »

For clarification Sep 3rd is the last time the main post was updated, not the date of the proposed bill.

JARG

That's amazing to hear, I was worried for a sec, hahaha.
DrYRHead
Elder Explorer

Expertise 33

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 01:10:46 pm »

If you are from NJ, showing up to any possible future hearing would be a good idea. In a few other states people showing up to protest the measure blocked SD from being banned in some of those states.

Welcome to the rabbit hole.
Paradoxic
The Creator
Cultivator

Expertise 113

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 01:43:35 pm »

Hey, Paradoxic.

Sorry to bother you about the legal status, but I'm really interested in helping fight any upcoming laws that would make salvia illegal in Jersey. One thing that confused me though is the wording of "Current Status: Bill proposed (as of Sept 3, 2008)." Does that mean you updated the page as of sept 3, 2008, or is the date of a proposed bill to ban salvia?
As JARG said yeah it means that as of Sept 3 a bill has been proposed not that the bill was proposed on Sept 3. But I really hope you can take some action in NJ, would you like to be the action leader who organizes opposition to the bill?
lordhelmit
Junior Explorer

Expertise 0

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 11:09:08 pm »

i know this is old but anybody know any updates on this? im pretty sure its still legal here but i cant find it ANYWHERE in any stores in NJ. i cant do online anymore either, no more money on debit card. =/
Nezahualcoyotl
Tribal Elder

Expertise 79

...Because cultivation is the key to preservation!

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 11:26:04 pm »

Send me cash.

What do you want?

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi Proverb
drift
Tribal Elder

Expertise 82

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 05:54:08 am »

i know this is old but anybody know any updates on this? im pretty sure its still legal here but i cant find it ANYWHERE in any stores in NJ. i cant do online anymore either, no more money on debit card. =/

It's still legal here, bro. I got my own salvia forest in Jersey.
lordhelmit
Junior Explorer

Expertise 0

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 11:39:42 pm »

Send me cash.

What do you want?

you serious? cause i'd totally do that haha

It's still legal here, bro. I got my own salvia forest in Jersey.

there ANY stores that sell it here?
Yossaria
Action Leader

Expertise 12

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 11:47:33 pm »

Ok. Getting off topic for sure.  Probably switch this type of stuff to a different forum or message series.
Nezahualcoyotl
Tribal Elder

Expertise 79

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 12:07:00 pm »

Start a thread and I'll answer your questions lordhelmit, but this isn't the place for it.

Yossaria
Action Leader

Expertise 12

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 02:15:03 am »

Start a thread and I'll answer your questions lordhelmit, but this isn't the place for it.

Cool. Thanks Teotzlcoatl.  I'll pull these last few posts in a few days.  As always, pm me with any objections, comments, etc.
Nezahualcoyotl
Tribal Elder

Expertise 79

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 10:30:50 am »

Ya they're off topic.

Stay on topic guys!

Polantaris

Expertise 0

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 02:52:36 am »

Just to make sure, Salvia is still legal in NJ?  (I've been reading everywhere I can, but everything I see says that it's still a proposed bill)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: