Grow Salvia divinorum Salvia divinorum information Salvia divinorum legal status law Salvia divinorum images gallery Salvia divinorum cultivation growing community Salvia divinorum forum Donate to support Salvia Source
SalviaSource.org Forums - Salvia divinorum cultivation community
April 06, 2012, 12:00:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Your Ad Here

FORUM HOME   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Choosing A Pot  (Read 3931 times)
Paradoxic
The Creator
Cultivator

Expertise 113

« on: February 21, 2006, 09:15:14 pm »

Salvia divinorum needs a lot of root space to grow; more than most plants. A healthy plant can develop a large root mass very quickly.

It is a good idea to transplant your plant into at least a one gallon or larger pot as soon as possible, if needed. It is recommended that you   use the largest pot practical. Your pot should be at least 5 gallons, and anything from 4-10 gallons should work for mature growth. If your plant is growing slowly in apparently ideal conditions it may be suffering from root-bound which means it needs a bigger pot. Read more about root-bound here.

Plastic pots seem to work best for growing Salvia(however you can use terra-cotta pots). Plastic pots do not allow the soil to dry out as quickly as terra-cotta. Water is forced to evaporate off the surface of the soil creating a beneficial mist for the plant.  Be careful not to over-water, plastic pots are more conductive to root rot.

You need to make sure you pots can drain out efficiently. If your pots do not already have holes cut at least 2 holes in each of their bottoms.  Make sure never to let water sit in the tray after watering. I recommend you set up some sort of drainage system to make it easier to remove water that has drained through the plant.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 06:32:11 pm by Paradoxic » Logged
PsychedelicArdist
Explorer

Expertise 2

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 04:10:06 pm »

I'm REALLY glad I just read this!
I'm about to get mine, and I would've probably left the trays full of water (just out of not paying attention), and combined with not thinking they would've died!

Thanks!
TheDude

Expertise 0

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 08:57:26 am »

I am vary of plastic - pots, cups, everything !!!

In India it is easy to get cheap earthen pots (same as terra cotta i guess) for gardening - they naturally cool water or soil kept in them through porous holes - so the pores also ensure that excess water goes away and such rotting as mentioned does not occur.

I have many other queries but I emailed at the email address mentioned at the website - hope to get help from you guys  Cry

"Life being what it is, one dreams of revenge." - Paul Gauguin
Cultivator

Expertise 166

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 04:51:49 pm »

I get Pots made from recycled Plastic.

Please read my Illustrated Tutorials on repotting: http://sageseeds.info/tutorials/repot.php

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: