Grow Salvia divinorum Salvia divinorum information Salvia divinorum legal status law Salvia divinorum images gallery Salvia divinorum cultivation growing community Salvia divinorum forum Donate to support Salvia Source
SalviaSource.org Forums - Salvia divinorum cultivation community
March 05, 2012, 03:32:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Your Ad Here Please donate

FORUM HOME   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Legislative Guide for Salvia divinorum  (Read 10027 times)
Paradoxic
The Creator
Cultivator

Expertise 113

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 10:58:23 pm »

Ok, I've been doing some writing for the document and I've come up with an intro and a basic outline. Heres what I have so far:
Introduction
   Civil liberties are strongly valued in our society and if we agree to give up one of them we must  make sure there is a legitimate and necessary reason. Many “recreational drugs” have proven to be considerably dangerous or addictive and have demonstrated little to no use in medicine. These substances, of course, are tightly controlled. However, when we are talking about a plant with tremendous medicinal potential and a weak, mostly unsubstantiated case for prohibition we should reconsider if it is really necessary to restrict another civil liberty in order to, at best, attempt to control this beautiful member of the mint family called Salvia divinorum. Its appearance is similar to many houseplants, however it produces an extremely unique chemical called salvinorin A. While salvinorin A is hallucinogenic, it has been shown to be non-toxic (cite) and there is no evidence to suggest that it is in any way addictive. In fact, there is substantial evidence suggesting it has potential in treating cocaine and amphetamine addiction (cite). This document covers Salvia divinorum's medicinal potential, scientific value, and also recommendations on how to ensure this plant is handled safely. Writing this document was a collaborative effort and it is supported by a cumbersome list of prominent scientists and enthusiasts (listed below).

[Nice picture of Salvia divinorum in bloom]

Background information
-history
-salvinorin A mechanism of action
-non-toxic

Medicinal potential

No potential for long-term abuse
   There are many popular misconceptions about Salvia divinorum, presumably these led to some of the proposed bans. Many of these misconceptions have their origin in sensationalistic stories presented by misinformed journalists, and others derive from the absurd advertising claims of unethical herb vendors who market this herb as a “legal high” and deliberately exaggerate its effects to increase sales. The fact is that the effects of Salvia divinorum are not appealing to recreational drug users. The majority of people who try it find that they do not enjoy its effects and do not continue using it. It does produce an altered state of awareness, but does not produce a “high” (i.e., it is not euphoric or stimulating). Salvia divinorum produces a state of increased self-awareness. For this reason, some people use it as an aid to meditation, contemplation, and spiritual reflection. There are people who are intrigued by salvia’s effects, but even these people use it infrequently. Because it increases self-awareness, it is useless as an escapist drug. When used in a careless manner, it tends to produce unpleasant experiences, and that of course discourages further use (i.e., abuse is self-limiting).

Unnecessary increase in law enforcement expenses

Recommendations
-under 18 ban
Salvia divinorum is an important medicinal herb that has no potential for long-term abuse. It does not present a significant risk to public health or safety. Obviously, there is a problem with young people using this herb (especially when they use it carelessly). There is a sensible way to deal with that problem: regulation that prohibits sale or delivery to minors. This is a useful medicinal herb that enriches the lives of many responsible adults. Since it is by all accounts a remarkably safe herb (when used responsibly), it would be overly restrictive to make it illegal for all citizens. Placing it in Schedule I would deprive people of a safe and useful medicinal herb, and it would seriously hamper promising medical research. Because of its complex stereochemistry, salvinorin A is virtually impossible to produce synthetically. It is important that its source plant, Salvia divinorum, remain available so that researchers can continue to study this important compound.

Sent on behalf of...
[everyone involved in writing + scientists, etc (phone #, address, name, signatures?)]

References

Someone offered to make a PDF version of the document, which we definitely need to do.

Also the above doesnt include the ways to take action section, but we will have to work out different versions for different purposes. We obviously wouldn't want to send ways to take action to legislators. And we might want to add a section on safe usage to give to smoke shops and online Salvia vendors.

Tell me what you think of it so far (this is just what I have written; I haven't incorporated anyone else's writing yet).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 08:29:12 pm by Paradoxic » Logged
divinorum
Junior Explorer

Expertise 1

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 10:17:03 pm »

"It looks similarly to many houseplants", can you change the similarly to similar (thats the only grammatical error that I see in it). Anyway, below is my paper so far. I have been trying to get my school stuff out of the way, but projects and such are stacking up on me again so I dont have a ton of time. This week though is pretty much it, so I will definatley have this finished by Sunday. Now, I need to know how to put up my word document that I have written so far up here so that you can download and take a look at it. Does anyone know how to do this?

And the sage goddess opened her arms and showed me all of the wisdom of the world, all that is, and all that will be, and filled my life with purpose and meaning...
Paradoxic
The Creator
Cultivator

Expertise 113

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 09:04:30 pm »

Oh yeah, I recently edited that section.

Thank you for contributing. I really wanna get this off the ground very soon because in my city there is a group trying to get the plant banned.
divinorum
Junior Explorer

Expertise 1

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 11:37:22 pm »

Thank you for contributing. I really wanna get this off the ground very soon because in my city there is a group trying to get the plant banned.

Cool, and uncool (in that order). We need to stop groups like this by showing them unbiased information.

Alright, I am almost done with my little section, and will be getting a great resource for any further sections in a week. Its the book Plants of the Gods by Richard Evans Schultes and Albert Hofmann which outlines 90-somthin plants that were used for spiritual purposes.

And the sage goddess opened her arms and showed me all of the wisdom of the world, all that is, and all that will be, and filled my life with purpose and meaning...
DrYRHead
Elder Explorer

Expertise 33

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 12:26:31 am »

I'm updating my web page and posting the cleaned up copy here.

http://members.cox.net/sageseeds/noonab259.html   

The rough source draft ...

Good rants SeaMac.

Welcome to the rabbit hole.
DrYRHead
Elder Explorer

Expertise 33

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 12:29:52 am »

This kind of thing makes me wonder which plant these goons are going to go after next.  Undecided

Welcome to the rabbit hole.
lanothegreat

Expertise 0

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 03:42:23 pm »

this is a great idea..countries are so power hungry and are willing to ban anything people use openly without taxtation for the government...without looking at the positive side effects.i agree with the open use of salvia and anything like that of its nature...from what i understand..the  effects of salvia are limited to minutes...where as alcohol could have effectiveness for hours and it can be purchased openly damn near anywhere....
i just purchasede 25 grams of salvia and im going to enjoy it..then make extractions...shit...thank god for salvia
jwrobel0398

Expertise 0

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 06:44:53 am »

There seems to be a lot of confusion in regards to an extract and/or a tincture. I have created tinctures for many years with great success. The main difference between the two is if you're looking to get stoned or having a the urge to go on a, "vision quest." If you want to get stoned, smoke the extract offered by whomever claims to offer it, if you want an eye opening experinece use the tincture. Two totally differnet things to consider. It's not meant to be a, "party drug" but something to help you on your journey to find yourself.

I have actually created a tincture I have named, "Blue Sage" and I will be putting it on EBay with the appropriate disclaimers in regard to its legality.

A tincture is made by taking whatever herb you are working with and bathing it in alcohol (best to grind the herb into the finest particles before doig so) although I found an alternative method. And please not that it is NOT a quick process.

I place the leaves and bathe them in a alcohol re-agent for a week them take them out of the original conatainer and grind them in a blender. I then let them sit for at least 6 weeks (shaken at least twice daily thereafter) to let the alcohol absorb the most significant amount of the leaves.

The proof of the alcohol is not so much important as to how you, "infuse" the leaves to deliver that what you want. Most use 150 proof alcohol (vodka, etc.) but that is not important. If you use at least 100 proof alcohol, that's just fine. Some others use dangerous forms of the same that I would not want to put into my body let alone offer to anyone else. I have found that 100 proof Smirnoff does the job quite nicely.

This offers a product that is much more palateable and affords one the same effects as those using Ethanol alcohol and the like. Quite a dangerous thing to ingest.

I also triple filter the finished product after it sets for AT LEAST 6 weeks, all the time being agitated so that the alcohol becomes infused with the Salvia and the conent thereof.

Please be aware that there is a HUGE difference between a, "tincture" and an, "extract." An extract contains volitile chemicals that you may not want to ingest into your body; a tincture is (if done properly) is pretty much a safe bet although if you're looking to get F_up it's not the way to go. Besides that, you may run into some real serious problems.

Do the research, it's not all cut and dry. Your playing with a chemical that could in fact leave you, "out there" with no where to turn. I think it would be better to, "ease" yourself into the experience instead of going off the deep end and simply diving in to that which you have no clue about.

Any questions, please feel free to ask. Blue Sage is the safest tincture I've found to introduce you to this method of seeking enlightenment.

John

JustAnotherRegularGuy
Cultivation Contributor

Expertise 103

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 10:52:51 am »

So your tinctures are leafy product? I always thought tinctures were in a liquid state...but I am no expert and have never used a tinture.

JARG
Hero4Evz
Super Gardener

Expertise 127

Global Mod - PM me if you need help with anything!

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 11:32:23 am »

IDK if he leaves the leafs in. Either way I imagine it'd work, but if you'd prefer to not have the leafy product you could always strain it as most of the salvinorum should have been removed from the leaf.

Interested in a trade? Check out my list.
lonleymint
Explorer

Expertise 1

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 03:29:14 pm »

I think we should remove the word inebriated from the essay.

Inebriation refers specifically to alcohol.
|if3
Elder Explorer

Expertise 31

Horticultural Terrorist

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009, 10:58:32 pm »

intoxication maybe?

.liaverp ot thgir eht ,thgif ot thgir eht;\
,desoporp ton ,eerf eb dluohs modeerf;/
 .desopsid ro desoppo;\
.etah ton ,sdees wos;/
.ehcadaeh citehtnys ,tenalp cinagro;\
.senilediug lacilbib eurt eht era esehT;/
Yossaria
Action Leader

Expertise 12

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2009, 12:59:54 am »

Just posted a general template of the letter I sent into to all of the sponsors of the recent HB 2520 bill in Arizona into the main post of this forum.  Feel free to use as a guide!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: